As we move into Thanksgiving Weekend, I am pleased to report that the we have reached an important milestone in the ADCS FATCA lawsuit. As you know, ADCS is suing the Government of Canada for enacting a foreign law – the US Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (“FATCA“) – on Canadian soil. By so doing Canada violated numerous rights found in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. These are Charter rights guaranteed to all Canadians, regardless of where they happened to have been born.
Please take the time to read this important document – the Memorandum of Law – prepared by our lawyers.
We expect the hearing to take place in Vancouver in January of 2019.
The history of our FATCA lawsuit to date
The Government of Canada signed a FATCA IGA with the United States in February of 2014. FATCA became operational in Canada on July 1, 2014. Our lawsuit was also launched in 2014.
1. This video which explains the background leading leading up to Canada’s signing the FATCA IGA
2. See the FATCA – @ADCSovereignty Book of Posts that I have written which describes the background to and evolution of the lawsuit.
Thanks to all of you have made this possible!
Our FATCA lawsuit would never have been possible without each of you. I would like to specifically recognize …
– the generosity of our numerous donors. Incredibly, this has been possible through the donations of ordinary Canadians who have given what they can. Although the amounts donated have been significant to the individual donors, we have not had a single “deep pockets” or Corporate Donor. Thank you again!
– the witnesses and the people who have contributed countless hours of their valuable time
– our plaintiffs: Gwen and Kazia – it takes tremendous courage and conviction to volunteer your name and circumstances to a lawsuit of this type
– our lawyers who have been with us since the beginning
On behalf of the Board of the Alliance For The Defence of Canadian Sovereignty I wish you the best.