A US Social Security Primer: What you didn’t know and didn’t know to ask!

Hat tip to Mr. L.J. Eiben of Raymond James who provided this excellent presentation.

Social Security script and slides

Now a discussion about US Social Security with L.J. …

Mr. L.J. Eiben is a Financial Advisor at Raymond James.

The information in this podcast and contained in these slides was obtained from sources RJA and believed to be reliable; however, we cannot represent that it is accurate or complete. It is provided as a general source of information and should not be considered personal investment advice or solicitation to buy or sell securities. The views expressed are not necessarily those of Raymond James (USA) Ltd. Raymond James (USA) Ltd. (RJLU) advisors may only conduct business with residents of the states and/or jurisdictions for which they are properly registered.

Raymond James (USA) Ltd. is a member of FINRA / SIPC

Bonus!! Renunciation and US Social Security

2 thoughts on “A US Social Security Primer: What you didn’t know and didn’t know to ask!

  1. Al Craig

    I renounced earlier this year, totally tax compliant.
    I have at least 40 quarters of SS pay in.
    I am approaching my 70th birthday.
    I am a citizen (and resident) of Australia.
    How do I apply for SS?
    Can they direct deposit to my Australian bank?
    If not, is receiving a cheque the only method available?
    If tax is withheld (85%/39%) can I claim it back? How? I no longer file as I am no longer a citizen.

    1. Terry

      I’d also like to know the answer to this. I moved to AU in 2007. My last SS update paperwork (which hadn’t changed since then as I never returned to the US and relinquished) came to an old address. I have tried now, for YEARS, to get my address changed to my current, and likely last address I’ll have (as I live w/my son). The walls I hit say the same thing: your address is changed when you file taxes. I state I am no longer a citizen and no longer file taxes, and haven’t filed taxes, for years. That means the last address they have on file is from years ago. I am directed back into the US tax circle-jerk, over and over. All I want is to have my current address on file. My SS number is not recognized at the online website– one aspect of the circle-jerk I am tossed towards constantly.

      John Richardson? Can you please speak to this issue? Cheers.


Leave a Reply